The Glossary tool provides definitions for terms in matrices, including matrix row and column names and descriptions for matrix cells. Using the Glossary tool in conjunction with a matrix compensates for the limited space allowed for matrix row and column names. Within matrix cells, glossary entries also apply to terms in cell names and descriptions.
When participants move the mouse over a glossed term, Sakai displays a short definition or explanation that has been entered via the Glossary tool. When participants click on the name, it hyperlinks to more extensive information that has been entered via a rich text editor. CIG Coordinators (including site organizers and others) often use these hyperlinks to provide detailed information such as objectives, outcomes, or standards represented by each matrix row; a complete list of campus activities for each matrix level; or an extensive grouping of resources to develop a particular skill.
If you are a CIG Coordinator, the Glossary tool allows you to create the short and long definitions and explanations described above for matrices or wizards within a portfolio site. If you are a system administrator, you may use the Glossary tool in Portfolio Admin to define terms in matrices across sites within a Sakai instance using the Glossary Tool in the Portfolio Admin site.
The Glossary tool also allows you to manage glossary terms in other ways. You may:
- Change glossary terms.
- Delete glossary terms.
- Use a glossary created in one site in another site by exporting it from the first site and importing to the other site.
- Change glossary tool permissions for all users in any given role.
- The Glossary tool is usually located in the Guide category in a portfolio site.
To access the Glossary tool, click the launch button for Glossary. Sakai displays the Glossary home page.
The home page contains a list of glossary terms in alphabetical order, along with their short definitions. You have several options for viewing the glossary:
- To see the long definition or description of a term, click the term itself. Sakai displays the longer hyperlinked definition in a separate window. To close the window, click Close.
- To display the first page of terms, click First.
- To display the previous page of terms, click Previous.
- To display the next page of terms, click Next.
- To display the last page of terms, click Last.