How do I create a multiple choice question?
A multiple choice question in an assessment provides pre-written choices from which the student will select. You can restrict the correct answers to one selection, or require allow multiple selections (one or more) for a correct answer.
Go to Tests & Quizzes.
Select the Tests & Quizzes tool from the Tool Menu of your course.
Select an assessment.
A multiple-choice question may be added to any assessment. Select an existing assessment or create a new one.
Note: You may also add a question directly to a question pool.
Create a New Assessment.
For more information on creating new assessments, see How do I create an assessment?
Choose the answer configuration.
Multiple Correct, Single Selection
A multiple correct, single selection answer grants all of the points to more than one single selection.
If more than one of the answer selections is correct, then each can be checked, and a student who checks either of those selections (via radio buttons) earns all of the points. An example is shown above.
Multiple Correct, Multiple Selection
A multiple correct, multiple selection answer requires several selections and allows different policies for granting the points.
- The option Right Less Wrong means that the points possible will be reduced by each box checked wrongly, either affirmed for a selection that should not be included, or left empty for a selection that should be included in the correct answers.
- The option All or Nothing means that all points are granted for a fully correct answer only; any other combination of affirmed and empty check boxes earns no points.
Add Question Text.
Add attachment. (Optional)
Enter the question answers.
Type the answers in the text boxes provided, and indicate the correct answer by selecting the appropriate letter in the Correct Answer column.
- You may click the "Show/Hide" link to switch between plain text (shown) and rich text entry.
- To expand or shrink the text boxes, drag the corners.
- For more possible answers, choose a number from the drop-down list Insert Additional Answers.
Choose whether or not to randomize answers (for multiple choice).
The default setting is No for randomizing answers. If you would like the answer choices to appear in a random order each time a student takes the assessment, select Yes.
Tip: Remember that if you answer choices contain items like "all of the above" or "A and B are correct" randomizing the order could cause confusion with the answer key.
Choose whether or not to require rationale.
Assign the question to a portion of the assessment and/or a Question Pool. (Optional)
1. The question can be added to a specific portion of the assessment, such as Part 1 or Part 2 (depending on how many parts exist). Part 1 is the default location.
2. The question may also be added to a Question Pool, if desired.
Add answer feedback. (Optional)
Feedback is optional text available for the student to review after the particular question is graded. For matching questions, the feedback option is offered for correct and/or incorrect answers, if desired.
Tip: To edit with Rich-Text Editor, click the hyperlink to open the full menu.