How do I use a phone or tablet as a whiteboard in Zoom?
You can make a whiteboard to use in Zoom with the following items:
- A computer (PC or Mac),
- A handheld touch screen device (an Android phone or tablet, or an iPad),
- A stylus that works with your touch screen device (Optional, but recommended if you find it hard to draw with your finger).
Install Zoom on your computer.
Install the Zoom client (opens new window) on your PC or Mac, and/or add the Zoom app to your mobile device.
Download the Zoom app on your handheld device.
- On your phone or tablet, open your internet browser and go to the following web address: zoom.us/download
- Download and install the Zoom Client for Meetings on your device.
Start the meeting on your computer.
On your computer, start your online meeting in Zoom.
Access Zoom on your handheld device.
On your phone or tablet, open the Zoom app and select Sign In.
Sign into Zoom with the SSO option.
On your phone or tablet, select the SSO Sign In option.
Enter the domain and Continue to log in.
- On your phone or tablet, in the company domain box, enter virginia in the box (so it displays virginia.zoom.us in the window).
- Select Continue.
Log in using NetBadge.
On your phone or tablet, you will be redirected to the NetBadge login page. Either:
- Use your Digital Certificate to log in by selecting the corresponding Log In button,
- Or enter your UVA computing ID and Password and Log In.
Go to the Meetings tab on your handheld device.
Once you have logged into the Zoom app on your phone or tablet, select the Meetings tab.
Start your meeting on your handheld device.
On your phone or tablet, select the Start button for the same meeting you already joined on your computer.
Disconnect audio on the handheld device.
- On your phone or tablet, tap near the bottom of the screen to show the menu with options to Unmute, Start Video, etc., then select the More button.
- Select Disconnect Audio.
Share the whiteboard on the handheld device.
- On your phone or tablet, select the Share button.
- Select Share Whiteboard.
On your touch screen, select the pencil icon.
On your phone or tablet, select the pencil icon.
Select the drawing tool.
On your phone or tablet, a menu of drawing tools will display. Select a drawing tool, e.g., the pencil.
Tip: You can find a description of all the drawing tools in Zoom's help article Using annotation tools on a shared screen or whiteboard (opens new window).
Draw with your finger or stylus on the touch screen.
Draw on your touch screen using:
- Your finger,
- Or a stylus.
View the whiteboard on your computer.
You can check how your whiteboard displays to your meeting participants on your computer screen.
Save your whiteboard. (Optional)
To save the contents of your whiteboard on your phone or tablet:
- Select the More (...) icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Select Save to Album to save a copy of the image to your photo gallery.
Close the whiteboard on your handheld device.
When you are done using the whiteboard on your phone or tablet, select the Close (X) button in the upper left corner of the screen to close the drawing tools and return to the menu with options such as Unmute, Start Video, etc.
Stop Share on your device.
On your phone or tablet, select the Stop Share button to exit the whiteboard.
Leave the meeting on your device.
On your phone or tablet:
- Select the Leave link.
- Select Leave Meeting.
End the meeting on your computer.
When you are done meeting:
- On your computer, select End Meeting.
- In the window that pops up, select End Meeting for All.